It's Soooooo Good!

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

My Very Own 30 Minute Meal

Sometimes when you are really lucky, you can make a delicious meal without a whole lot of planning. Such was the case last night for me. I stopped on my way home from the gym and bought a piece of salmon, not knowing exactly what I would do with it.

I had bought some brussel sprouts on a previous trip to the grocery store, so I decided to cook those up. I know, I know, who cooks brussel sprouts? But my Gramma really likes them and she inspired me to give them a try. When preparing a meal for her last spring, I cooked brussel sprouts this way and she loved them, as did I. I promise—they're really good.

When picking out the brussel sprouts at the store, go for the little ones. Wash the sprouts and trim off just the very end. Heat oil in a skillet (one you have a lid for) and add the brussel spouts. Shake or turn the pan often to brown the sprouts on all sides. Remove brussel sprouts from pan, add a little butter to the pan and once melted, add a minced shallot. Saute shallot for a couple minutes and return sprouts to pan. Salt & pepper to taste and add about 3/4 cup reduced sodium chicken stock. Cover, and cook for about 30 minutes. The finished product is tender and flavorful.

Once the brussel sprouts were going, I threw on a pot of Kashi 7 Whole Grain Pilaf. One bowl of this stuff has a full day's worth of whole grains! You make it like rice, and as with rice, you can season it however you choose. It cooks for about 25 minutes.

Onto the salmon. I decided to make a glaze and cook the fish in the oven. I whisked together the juice of 1 lime, some dijon mustard, a bit of Worchestire sauce and salt & pepper and ouila! a tasty glaze. I spooned the glaze over the salmon and baked it for about 15 minutes. When out of the oven, I drizzled more glaze on the fish. I also drizzled some on the pilaf for flavor. I dished up and felt pleased with myself. The dinner was easy, healthy, hearty and delicious.

And for dessert—and let me say that this food item is so good it could merit its own blog posting—Rick and I enjoyed Wood's caramel apples. I am taking it upon myself to inform you of this seasonal treasure. If you like caramel apples, these are simple the best. The apple is green, crisp, tart and most importantly, enrobed in a thick layer of Wood's caramel. Rick likes to chill the apples in the fridge and then cut the slices off the core/stick, a method I favor as well, as it is much easier than eating the apple off the stick. You should go to Byerly's today and buy a few (notice I did not say "buy one," as you will definitely want more than one)! They are perfection, pure and simple.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I have not visited your website in far too long! I have been craving salmon lately and so it was fitting that your current post was of course that! But I cannot hold it against you bc how yummy was that soup you cooked and delivered all the way to San Paublo tonight?! And the chili!? Is anyone else shocked that my sister can cook/bake/create/throw together... anything and it is so damn amazing! I love your food! I consider myself extremely lucky to be on the receiving end of your cooking products so often. I would be severely malnourished if I had any other sister! Thanks sis- I love you so much!
PS- Personal cravings: chocolate, fish, steak, quinoa salad, brie sandwiches, garbanzo soup...wow the list goes on! Haha- ciao!

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home