It's Soooooo Good!

Friday, December 08, 2006

An Azia Birthday Dinner

It was my 26th birthday on Tuesday, December 5th and departing from the usual family routine, we went out for dinner. I wanted to try somewhere new, and decided on Azia (pronounced "asia"). The restaurant is located on Eat Street in Minneapolis, on the corner of Nicollet and 26th. Joining me were my mom, Liz, Rick and my aunt/godmother Diane.

I drank a Pomegranate Mojito, the other ladies each had wine and Rick had a Corona. We started with Cranberry Puffs; a tangy take on cream cheese wontons, Malaysian Skewers; chicken with a tasty peanut sauce, and Avocado Crisprolls; fried spring rolls with an avocado filling. The first two appetizers were very good, the Avocado rolls nothing special. Starters averaged around $9 each.

For entrees, we split the Pad Thai; to which we added chicken, Grilled Pork with Apple Plum Chutney; served over mashed taro root, and Carmella; pecans, shrimp and coconut atop vermicelli pasta. The pork dish was our favorite, the pad thai was simply pad thai and the shrimp dish was a disappointment. The entrees we chose averaged around $22 each.

Our server was efficient, but a bore. She offered no recommendations on drinks or food, even when specifically asked. The host was much more pleasant. He was very friendly from the minute we walked in, asking as to what the occasion was, wishing me a Happy Birthday, checking back with us during our meal and happily taking photos for us.

I really enjoyed the atmosphere of Azia, but to be totally honest, I wasn't wowed by the food. For those prices, I expected a bit more quality. I would consider returning there, probably not for a meal but more likely just for drinks and appetizers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home